The San Miguel pack house, Ponders End, in the Eastern Cape recently upgraded to Paltrack’s PALPACK PRO system to provide them with improved real-time control, visibility and traceability of product throughout their facility.
San Miguel produces their own plants, from which they obtain the raw material to market it as fresh fruit or processed products. This allows them to optimize the production process, which translates into high customer satisfaction.
Being the largest Argentine lemon exporter, and citrus exporter from Uruguay and South Africa, they export around 150 thousand tons of citrus a year, of which 80% are lemons and the remaining 20% is divided among tangerines, oranges and grapefruits.
San Miguel acquired the Ponders End Traders Pack House in Addo in South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province, only 70 kilometres away from Port Elizabeth. This, together with good access via the N2 highway, ensures that products reach the port quickly and at minimal transport costs.
The facility’s modern equipment includes, among others, a new generation MAF Rhoda optical calibrator. The business adheres to the most stringent South African and European safety standards and has successfully achieved the international certifications required by European supermarkets.
The total facilities area is 6 254 square meters which include cold storage for a total of 240 pallets. Processing reaches around 20,000 tons of a wide variety of citrus.
Johann Bruwer, Packhouse Manager from San Miguel Ponders End Packhouse says: ” Some of the major benefits that we have seen in upgrading our system to PALPACK PRO are the ability to have full traceability and visibility of bins and pallets throughout our facility. We have also seen cost savings related to label printing. We no longer need to apply a packer ID, fruit specification ID and carton label on the cartons. The new carton label provides us with the ability to print the labels as we need it. It also registers the packer transactions when the labels are printed. Each label has a unique barcode which gives us better control, traceability and visibility over the cartons. With the RF carton scanning functionality we are able to scan each carton during the pallet build-up. Once the pallet is full, the system will print a pallet label. The pallet intake is completed when the pallet label is printed. This results in a more accurate pallet label but also reduces transaction time.”
“The second phase of the project will involve using RF scanners at bin delivery. This will ensure more accurate intake of bins delivered at the packhouses as well as speed up the process. Our scales will be integrated into the system and that will ensure accurate recording of weights throughout our facility. We will also look at utilising the solution’s ability to pull in electronic loading instructions from our exporters. This will increase the efficiency and accuracy of container loading.”
PALPACK is a comprehensive software solution developed for the fresh produce packhouse environment. It provides clients with full management, visibility and traceability of product from bulk receiving at the packhouse throughout the packing process up to finished goods warehousing and shipping.
The solution provides for:-
- Bin receiving, handling and storage
- Empty Bin Movements
- Degreening and Drenching Management (Citrus)
- Pack Run Configuration, Packout and Management Reporting
- Pre-Sorter Integration
- Scale Integration
- Label Generation (standard, Print-On-Demand, Peel-and-Present, in-Line Label generation)
- Carton Management Module (on-demand label generation with RF carton and dispatch scanning)
- Inspection Management (integrates with TITAN)
- Quality Control for Deliveries, Production and Stock
- Packer Performance Management
- Packhouse Inventory Control
- Broker Sales Management
- Packing and Loading Instructions
- Finished Goods Stock Management
- Financial Functionality and Third party System Integration
- Various Scanning Technologies
- Report Generation
- Dashboards Services
PALPACK is offered in various versions, depending of the functionality required at a specific customer.
Paltrack is a subsidiary of Resolve Solution Partners, an Imperial group company. We are a leading supplier of software solutions, product coding and integration services to the South African agricultural industry. Our focus is on supply chain visibility from producer to port, and we build and source software solutions that meet our unique customer’s needs through all market verticals. Our primary clients are in the fruit and aquaculture industries, but our software is agile and customisable for most traceability requirements.