Paltrack’s Business Consultant, Murray Bont, has been working closely with Hexkoel and their member base to improve the percentage of PO file use at that cold-room. A PO file is an electronic file sent by die computer system of the entity that sends the product to Hexkoel, to the Hexkoel system.
Should the PO file be available to Hexkoel, prior to the physical fruit arriving, it unlocks many benefits. The main and interconnected benefits are as follows:
- It gives Hexkoel pre-warning of what is on-route and therefore aids their planning processes.
- It gives Hexkoel pre-warning regarding potential code registration issues or any missing inspection information.
- The speed at which Hexkoel can process the impending truck’s arrival is improved and this contributes to reducing standing times.
- Opens up various opportunities for Hexkoel to make a business decision on how they would like to import the information into their system.
- The accuracy of the information associated with the truck that has arrived for offloading is improved, as the system checks the captured information corresponds with what the sender has said is on the truck. This in turn leads to better quality information reaching the Hexkoel exporter customer base.
- Allows for any important information that does not appear on any pallet label such as the TITAN UPN numbers to be imported into their system.
Murray worked across service providers to try and remove all hurdles related to the information flows. In this process, the PO file usage at Hexkoel has been improved from 15% in the 2015/2016 season to 77% in the 2016/2017 season to date. Truck standing times have been reduced to vastly shorter periods. This has resulted in a reduction of manpower that was previously necessary for scanning and capturing the pallet information on the truck. The process is continuing and further improvement is expected. Stephan Antonowitz, Operations Manager at Hexkoel, quoted “an EDI file is a quality decision”.
Paltrack also successfully delivered on a SOLAS related project for Hexkoel by building integration with their choice of weighbridge. This integration process records the truck empty and full weight resulting in them being able to provide the necessary VGM. The process also automatically creates the necessary EDI file that is then delivered to the exporter containing the SOLAS VGM information.
Key processes prior to, and also during the loading of the container, were amended to pro-actively warn the user should a pallet not have been weighed, a specific exporter requirement.
Paltrack is a subsidiary of Resolve Solution Partners, an Imperial group company. We are a leading supplier of software solutions, product coding and integration services to the South African agricultural industry. Our focus is on supply chain visibility from producer to port, and we build and source software solutions that meet our unique customer’s needs through all market verticals. Our primary clients are in the fruit and aquaculture industries, but our software is agile and customisable for most traceability requirements.